1. A great way to stay safe while shopping online is in order to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email from a company, visit the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails requesting personal information or account information.
2. Before shopping from a store that is new to you, learn what the store's reputation is much like. You can usually do an online search and find out what others think of the business. It is best to accomplish this so you do not find out the difficult way and lose your money.
3. To safeguard yourself use a credit card when you shop online. The federal government has passed laws to protect consumers in the event of fraud. The amount the customer is responsible for is actually a mere $50.00 as compared to debit cards where the entire balance could be withdrawn by internet hackers.
4. When you're shopping online you should be sure that you know who you're buying from. If you're buying upon an online auction site, only order from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see should they be a reputable company by trying to find reviews upon them online.
5. When you are making any purchases on the web and you are required to make a user account, never make use of the same passwords that you use on other websites. Do not make use of your e-mail or banking password to make your account to buy shoes from a web retailer. If someone was able to check this out password, they could have access to more than simply your profile on the retailer's store.