1. A great way to stay safe while shopping online is in order to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email from the company, go to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails asking for personal information or account information.
2. When you are making any purchases on the web and you are required to create a user account, never make use of the same passwords that you use on other websites. Do not use your e-mail or banking password to make your account to buy shoes from a web retailer. If a person was able to see this password, they can have access to not only your profile on the retailer's store.
3. If you're concerned with whether a shopping website is legitimate or otherwise not, do some research about it. The internet may be a great way to find out about other people's experiences with different sites. When the reviews of others seem promising, consider making a small first order. This can permit you to test out the consumer service, shipping, and gain a feel for the company without risking a lot of money.
4. Never give out your Social Security number to an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and private information to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you carry on an online store site and see that being a requirement, tend not to buy anything from them and shop someplace else.
5. To help protect your credit, use only one credit card for online purchases. This will help you quickly track your spending habits when the bank card statement comes in the mail. If you notice any charges which you did not make, call the credit card company immediately and report it to them.