1. Be careful which sites you patronize. It is difficult to find out which are in the up and up and which are not, but there are a few clues. If the address does not seem sensible or the design seems off, go to a different site. In addition, if a lot of pop-up windows begin appearing, close them out and move on.
2. When you are online shopping, make sure that you are just shopping on secure websites. Look in the web site URL and it should display "https" instead of the usual "http" at the beginning. Always have an up to date copy of anti-virus running on your computer as well. This will make sure that you have a safe online shopping experience.
3. When shopping for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as much reviews as you can. Reading many reviews will allow you to get a more general idea of whether or not the merchandise you are interested in meets high standards of quality.
4. When shopping online, choose the best shipping policy. Many times companies offer expedited shipping. However, often getting the product one day earlier can cost you as much as twice the normal shipping price. Therefore, if you can wait on the product to arrive using normal shipping instead of expedited shipping, choose standard shipping to save money.
5. If you are going to become doing some shopping online, make sure you understand the liability for each credit card you make use of online. Many credit cards have automatic fraud prevention built in while others offer it for a minimal fee. You do not want to get stuck with purchases made on the card in the event the number is stolen.