1. When you are searching for a location to buy a product and not one of the results are most often from familiar retailers, you need to be hesitant about entering your details. Look for security signs from Verisign or Cybertrust, so that you know the retailer is not in the market to take your money.
2. When searching for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as many reviews as is possible. Reading many reviews will allow you to get a more general notion of whether or not the product you are interested in meets high standards of quality.
3. A great way to stay safe when you shop online is in order to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email from a company, visit the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails seeking personal information or account information.
4. Call the internet company prior to making a purchase. In case you have some kind of downside to your purchase, you want so that you can know that you could reach customer care easily. That's why it's a good idea to call before you provide them with your bank card information. In the event you can't get anyone on the telephone, steer clear.
5. Be wary of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend if you are shopping online. You start out to rationalize that you can spend more for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten if you went to the mall, as an example. Give yourself a limit and stay with it.