1. A great way to stay safe when you shop online is to prevent clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email from the company, go to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails asking for personal information or account information.
2. Before buying from a new online retailer, perform some research on them. Check online reviews from other customers to see the way it handles items like customer service, shipping, and its overall buying experience. You can also look at the BBB to determine if it has any disputes and whether those disputes were resolved professionally. Try contacting the company via email and phone number, if it's posted to ask questions regarding its business before you buy anything.
3. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Lots of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on their own home page. Performing a quick hunt for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
4. Sign-up for any identity theft protection your credit card company offers, specifically if you shop online often. No matter how safe you are or how diligently you believe it is possible to protect your details, it's never one hundred percent guaranteed. Take full advantage of automatic ID protection and know you will have back-up, should the worst occur.
5. When you are online shopping, make sure that you are just shopping on secure websites. Look in the site URL and it should display "https" rather than the usual "http" at the beginning. Also have an up-to-date copy of anti-virus running on your computer too. This will make sure that you have a safe online shopping experience.