1. Never give out your Social Security number with an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and private information to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you continue an online store site and discover that as a requirement, usually do not buy everything from them and shop someplace else.
2. While shopping online, it's best to look around to find the best price. Shopping online will make it very easy to get the best price for any items. While shopping around, make sure that you only consider the prices from places where you'd feel at ease buying from. Even if a cost is great, it won't matter if you don't want to order from that place.
3. When you're shopping online you should be sure you are aware who you're buying from. If you're buying on an online auction site, only order from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see if they are a reputable company by looking for reviews to them online.
4. Be cautious where you submit your bank card information. If you are shopping online, only use secure sites. These are sites that have taken steps to protect your valuable information. A secured website will begin with HTTPS rather than the standard HTTP. There may also be a locked icon, in both your address or status bar, according to which browser you use.
5. If you think that you will be making a lot of online purchases down the road, consider trying to get a separate credit card to use simply for these transactions. It is simpler to track all transactions should they be the only items listed on this card's transaction records. Additionally, you don't need to worry regarding your own funds being compromised, even temporarily, if you are a victim of fraud.