1. Always remember your budget and credit limits when you shop online. The virtual realm of online shopping has become a lot of people in serious debt. You need to take a look at online shopping in the same manner you look at offline shopping. Never buy items online that you don't have the cash to pay for.
2. A reputable online seller should have a history that is recorded with the Better Business Bureau. Check with the BBB before you decide to part with your hard earned money to determine if there have been any major or continual complaints lodged against them. You don't wish to be spending your money with a company that fails to deliver.
3. To guard yourself use a credit card when shopping online. The government has passed laws to protect consumers in the event of fraud. The amount the buyer is responsible for is actually a mere $50.00 as compared to atm cards where the entire balance may be withdrawn by internet hackers.
4. When you're shopping online you should be sure that you know who you're buying from. If you're buying upon an online auction site, only order from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see when they are a reputable company by trying to find reviews upon them online.
5. Do more research on the online store you are considering before ordering a product from their store. If a store does not provide quality service or products, you will probably find some negative reviews published on other sites. It is best to stay with online stores with an excellent reputation.