1. Never give out your Social Security number to an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and personal information to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you go on an online store site and see that as a requirement, usually do not buy everything from them and shop elsewhere.
2. Before investing in a product online, find out more about shipping. If you do not find any details about shipping costs, contact the owner to find out if there are additional charges for shipping. If there are several shipping options, choose an affordable and reliable option to make sure you receive your product quickly.
3. Before shopping from a store that is a new comer to you, learn what the store's reputation is like. You can usually do an online search and find out what others think of the business. It is best to do this so you may not find out the hard way and lose your cash.
4. When you are searching for a place to buy a specific thing and none of the results are most often from familiar retailers, you need to be hesitant about entering your information. Look for security signs from Verisign or Cybertrust, so that you know the retailer is not in the market to take your hard earned money.
5. A great way to stay safe when shopping online is to prevent clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email coming from a company, visit the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails requesting personal information or account information.