1. To protect yourself use a credit card while shopping online. The federal government has passed laws to protect consumers in the event of fraud. The amount the customer is responsible for is really a mere $50.00 as compared to atm cards where the entire balance may be withdrawn by internet hackers.
2. When you are making any purchases online and you are required to make a user account, never make use of the same passwords that you use on other websites. Do not use your e-mail or banking password to make your account to buy shoes from a web retailer. If someone was able to check this out password, they might have access to not only your profile on the retailer's store.
3. When shopping online, be sure that the online store offers secure checkout. This helps protect your own personal information from being stolen. To ensure the website is encrypted look up into your web browser's URL box. The site is secured if the website starts with https. This stands for hyper transfer protocol secure.
4. Take the time to browse through different online stores to evaluate the products offered. Unless you have your mind set on a specific brand, you need to take the time to compare different products. Select one with all the features you need and compare prices too. Visit your favorite online stores often since new items become available on a regular basis.
5. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Lots of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on the home page. Performing a quick search for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.