1. Never give out your Social Security number with an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and personal data to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you carry on an online store site and discover that as being a requirement, usually do not buy everything from them and shop someplace else.
2. When you're shopping online you have to be sure that you know who you're buying from. If you're buying on an online auction site, only order from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see when they are a reputable company by looking for reviews on them online.
3. Be mindful where you submit your credit card information. When you are shopping online, only use secure sites. These are sites that have taken steps to safeguard your valuable information. A secured website will begin with HTTPS as opposed to the standard HTTP. There will also be a locked icon, in both your address or status bar, according to which browser you use.
4. If you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is absolutely no website that really needs this number for you to buy something. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, perhaps you are on a scam website. Leave this site and find one that includes a better reputation.
5. Always remember your budget and credit limits while shopping online. The virtual realm of online shopping has gotten a lot of people in serious debt. You need to look at online shopping in the same way you look at offline shopping. Never buy items online that you don't have the cash to pay for.