1. Before buying from a new online retailer, do your homework on them. Check online reviews from other customers to see how it handles stuff like customer service, shipping, and its overall buying experience. You can also look into the BBB to find out if it has any disputes and whether those disputes were resolved professionally. Try contacting the company via email and phone number, if it's posted to ask questions on its business before you buy anything.
2. A great way to stay safe when shopping online is to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email coming from a company, go to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails asking for personal information or account information.
3. Sign-up for any identity theft protection your credit card company offers, especially if you shop online often. No matter how safe you are or how diligently you believe you are able to protect your information, it's never one hundred percent guaranteed. Take full advantage of automatic ID protection and know you will have back-up, should the worst occur.
4. Before buying a product online, find out more about shipping. If you do not find any information regarding shipping costs, contact the seller to find out if there are additional charges for shipping. If there are several shipping options, choose an affordable and reliable option to make sure you receive your product quickly.
5. Check out coupon sites. Whatever you desire to buy might have coupons or discount codes. Before buying something, make sure that you have the ability to require a few seconds and do a quick search. You might even want to bookmark some coupon sites to have ready when you buy.