1. When shopping online, ensure that the online store offers secure checkout. This will help protect your individual information from being stolen. To ensure the site is encrypted check out into your web browser's URL box. The website is secured if the website starts with https. This means hyper transfer protocol secure.
2. If you find an excellent product on your own favorite site, search for it in the search engines before you buy it. Make note of the model number or brand, and do a quick search to make sure you can't have it cheaper from somewhere else. You might be able to save a few dollars this way.
3. If you are going to be doing some online shopping, make sure you be aware of the liability for each credit card you use online. Many credit cards have automatic fraud prevention integrated while others offer it for a minimal fee. You do not need to get stuck with purchases made on your card when the number is stolen.
4. Read customer testimonials before you buy anything. People are more than pleased to complain about bad service online, so look for sites and testimonials which can be terrible so you are aware what you're getting into. You should take bad reviews using a grain of salt, but if you see many, you know you will find a problem.
5. If you want to buy books online, you'll get a better deal if you get them used. Based on the condition you get them in, you may just end up paying a few cents plus shipping. Make sure you read through the description of the book to see if you can find any damages you should be aware of.