1. Be wary of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend if you are shopping online. You start out to rationalize that you can spend more for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten in the event you went to the mall, for example. Give yourself a limit and stick to it.
2. A great way to stay safe when shopping online is in order to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email coming from a company, go to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails asking for personal information or account information.
3. Search for coupons before purchasing a product online. Most online stores usually have some promotional offers happening. If you do not find any details about current offers on the site of the online store, look on other sites. Customers sometimes share their coupon codes on discussion boards or couponning blogs.
4. Be cautious where you submit your credit card information. If you are shopping online, always use secure sites. These are sites that have taken steps to protect your valuable information. A secured website will begin with HTTPS rather than the standard HTTP. There may also be a locked icon, either in your address or status bar, according to which browser you use.
5. Once you enjoy the convenience of frequent shopping online, it's essential to keep changing the passwords you use for every account. Every couple of weeks roughly, make up a whole new password to your bank and the shopping sites directly. Use abstract words, combined with numbers and other odd characters for your strongest passwords.