1. When you're shopping online you have to be sure that you know who you're buying from. If you're buying upon an online auction site, only buy from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see if they are a reputable company by trying to find reviews on them online.
2. If you want to buy books online, you'll get a better deal if you get them used. Based on the condition you get them in, you may just end up paying a few cents plus shipping. Make sure you read the description of the book to see if you will find any damages you should be aware of.
3. Be careful where you submit your credit card information. If you are shopping online, always employ secure sites. These are sites that have taken steps to guard your valuable information. A secured website will begin with HTTPS as opposed to the standard HTTP. There can also be a locked icon, in both your address or status bar, according to which browser you use.
4. When you are shopping on the web, you should only shop at reputable stores. If the store does not have a good reputation, you may be asking for trouble. Many people have had their credit card and private information stolen from shopping on lower than reputable websites. Be careful and protect your private information.
5. Be careful in regard to the online stores that you consider buying from. If the online store is poorly designed, full of misspellings, and overall fishy, you should take your money elsewhere. These are signs that something might not be right about this store. It's preferable to be safe than sorry.