1. When shopping online, choose the best shipping policy. Often times companies offer expedited shipping. However, often times getting the product one day earlier can cost you as much as twice the normal shipping price. Therefore, if you can wait on the product to arrive using normal shipping instead of expedited shipping, choose standard shipping to save money.
2. A great way to stay safe when shopping online is to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email from the company, visit the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails seeking personal information or account information.
3. Before shopping from a store that is new to you, learn what the store's reputation is much like. You can usually do a web-based search and find out what others think of the business. It is best to do that so you do not find out the hard way and lose your hard earned money.
4. Sign-up for any identity fraud protection your credit card company offers, particularly if you shop online often. No matter how safe you are or how diligently you believe it is possible to protect your information, it's never one hundred percent guaranteed. Take full advantage of automatic ID protection and know you will have back-up, should the worst occur.
5. If you're making an online purchase, don't hesitate to contact customer support if you have a question. By contacting customer service prior to making your order, you'll find out how helpful customer service is and exactly how quickly they respond. This is useful information to have when something goes wrong after you've made your purchase.