1. A great way to stay safe when you shop online is in order to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email from a company, proceed to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails seeking personal information or account information.
2. Always look for coupon codes when shopping on the web. Many online retailers give out discounts for various things and you can find them by carrying out a simple search. Just enter in the name of the store and coupon and you could find a great discount. This can be a great way to save money when you shop online.
3. When you are making a purchase online, make sure that you use a credit card to pay for the transaction. Charge card users are protected against fraud by federal law and therefore are only liable for $50 in these cases. Some card agencies will even go so far as to wave the $50 for you, which means you will not be out of pocket.
4. Be extra careful when you look for shopping deals on social media. Although it's a great way to get announcements regarding sales and coupon-codes, social media accounts can easily be impersonated or perhaps out-right hacked. Get your information on the social networks, then proceed directly to the main site from the store mentioned to wheel and deal.
5. Look for the right times to shop online. Often the stores that you frequent will have online sales that follow a time pattern. Many, for instance, schedule sales for the beginning of the month or at the end. If you notice there's a pattern, hold off on buying anything until the upcoming sales period begins.