1. To protect yourself use a credit card when you shop online. The government has passed laws to protect consumers in the event of fraud. The amount the customer is responsible for is really a mere $50.00 as compared to atm cards where the entire balance may be withdrawn by internet hackers.
2. When shopping online, you need to be extra careful if you are using your cellphone to get online. Using a public Wi-Fi can leave your personal susceptible to hackers. Attempt to only use your secured network when shopping online using a cellphone and never use a public Wi-Fi hot spot to shop.
3. When you're shopping online you have to be sure you know who you're buying from. If you're buying on an online auction site, only order from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see should they be a reputable company by trying to find reviews upon them online.
4. In case you have questions while shopping, look for a live chat function around the online store. Many big brands (and even some boutique stores) now have this functionality. You can chat immediately with a customer support representative to repair any issues or answer any questions before you purchase. That can give you a lot of peace of mind.
5. When you are shopping online, you should only shop at reputable stores. If the store does not have a good reputation, you may be requesting trouble. Some individuals have had their credit card and private information stolen from shopping on under reputable websites. Be careful and protect your private information.