1. A great way to stay safe when shopping online is in order to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email from the company, go to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails seeking personal information or account information.
2. Always save copies of your orders and receipts from online purchases. Many stores will redirect one to a page after you've submitted a purchase detailing exactly what was bought, customer information, the prices, etc. You should either print a copy of this or save a duplicate to your computer in case any issues arise before the end of the return period. Make sure to save any emails regarding your items' status or correspondence with the company regarding your orders, too.
3. If you're making an online purchase, don't hesitate to contact customer support if you have a question. By contacting customer service before making your order, you'll discover how helpful customer care is and just how quickly they respond. This really is useful information to have in the event that something goes completely wrong after you've made your purchase.
4. Be suspicious of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend when you are shopping online. You start out to rationalize that you can spend more for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten if you went to the mall, for instance. Give yourself a restriction and stay with it.
5. Be wary of any emails you get, even if they appear to be coming from a retailer you trust. Never click on a hyperlink that directs you to a site other than the one you shopped on. Should you, you may become vulnerable to a scam. Rather than simply clicking on an email hyperlink, just go approximately your browser and enter in the web site you need to go to. It is much safer that way.