1. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Many of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on their own home page. Performing a quick search for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
2. Discover more about the payment methods available from the online store you are interested in. Most stores supply you with the option to pay with a charge card or with PayPal. A charge card is a safe option only if the store has a secure server. If you do not see any information about safety, it is best to go through a different store.
3. If you feel you will be making a lot of online purchases down the road, consider obtaining a separate credit card to use simply for these transactions. It is much easier to track all transactions if they are the only items listed with this card's transaction records. Additionally, you don't need to worry regarding your own funds being compromised, even temporarily, if you are a victim of fraud.
4. Should you be looking for the best coupons, consider subscribing to the newsletters of the stores that you love the most. Often stores give their best coupons and discounts to those that have signed up the very first time. And they'll continue to provide great deals to those that have shown big fascination with the brand, so the signup can lead to some phenomenal savings.
5. After you have found the items you want, check to see if there are any coupons offered. There are many websites that offer coupons. These coupons can be a certain percent off, a certain dollar amount off or free freight. Many times several coupons are given. If this is the case, choose the one that will save you the most money.