1. Be skeptical of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend when you find yourself shopping online. You begin to rationalize that you can spend more for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten should you went to the mall, for instance. Give yourself a limit and stick to it.
2. If you're making an online purchase, don't hesitate to contact customer support if you have an issue. By contacting customer service prior to making your order, you'll find out how helpful customer service is and how quickly they respond. This can be useful information to have when something goes completely wrong after you've made your purchase.
3. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Most of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on their own home page. Doing a quick look for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
4. If you are looking for the best coupons, consider registering for the newsletters of the stores that you love the most. Often stores give their best coupons and discounts to people that have signed up the first time. And they'll continue to provide great deals to those that have shown big fascination with the brand, so the signup can lead to some phenomenal savings.
5. If you shop frequently at a certain website or online store, it may be worth it to enroll in their email updates which often have special offers and sales. This can lead to savings for you as you may get a discount on the item as well as free shipping, which could add up to bigger savings if you buy from the site often.