1. Be wary of the emails you obtain, even if they appear to be coming from a retailer you trust. Never click on a hyperlink that directs you to a website other than the one you shopped on. Should you do, you may become vulnerable to a scam. Rather than simply clicking on an email hyperlink, just go up to your browser and type in the web site you need to go to. It is actually much safer that way.
2. If you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is no website that requires this number for you to buy something. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, perhaps you are on a scam website. Leave this site and discover one that includes a better reputation.
3. Make sure to read all the information about any product you are considering purchasing. Just looking in a picture online can be deceiving sometimes. It will make a product look bigger or smaller than. Make sure to look at the description so you know exactly what you are purchasing.
4. For those who have questions while shopping, look for a live chat function around the online store. Many big brands (and even some boutique stores) now have this functionality. You are able to chat immediately with a customer support representative to repair any issues or answer any questions before you purchase. That can provide you with a lot of reassurance.
5. Take the time to browse through different online stores to compare and contrast the products offered. Unless you have your mind set on a specific brand, you ought to take the time to compare different products. Select one with all the features you need and compare prices too. Visit your favorite online stores often since new products become available on a regular basis.