1. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Lots of the big retailers often have promotions running which are not advertised on their own home page. Doing a quick hunt for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
2. Be sure that when you make a purchase online, you are aware of when the site is secure or not. You may not want your information being compromised in nowadays. Identity theft is fairly common, and you also must protect your information in any way cost so that you will wish to keep making purchases online.
3. In case a company has a newsletter, sign up. Often, companies will give sneak peeks, promotions and coupon codes to people on the mailing list. However, be careful. You don't want to sign up for every company's newsletter or you'll soon be buried under endless emails. Only subscribe to a company's newsletter should you really like their products and would use a discount code.
4. If you are looking at purchasing coming from a seller for the first time, take a moment to carefully examine their past customer reviews. As a general rule this will provide you with an approximate idea of what type of goods and services you should expect yourself. Anyone who has been rated lowly time and time again needs to be given a wide swerve.
5. Sign up for your chosen online stores' newsletters. Many times online stores will be sending out daily, weekly or monthly newsletters with special sales, discounts and deals. If you like to spend less, you might be able to score some good deals on items you were going to purchase anyway.