1. Read customer testimonials before you buy anything. People are delighted to complain about bad service online, so try to find sites and testimonials that are terrible so that you know what you're getting into. You need to take bad reviews using a grain of salt, but if you see many, you know you will find a problem.
2. Be skeptical of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend if you are shopping online. You start to rationalize that you can spend more money for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten if you went to the mall, for example. Give yourself a restriction and stay with it.
3. Be careful in regards to the online stores that you consider buying from. If the online store is poorly designed, filled with misspellings, and overall fishy, you should take your money elsewhere. These are signs that something might not be right about this store. It's preferable to be safe than sorry.
4. Do not spend too much cash on shipping. Shipping charges can actually add up. Many sites offer free shipping, free shipping once you spend a certain amount, or have a coupon code that allows you to get free shipping. Instead of paying your hard earned money on shipping, look for a store that ships for free.
5. Discover more about the payment methods available from the online store you are interested in. Most stores supply you with the option to pay with a credit card or with PayPal. Credit cards is a safe option only if the store features a secure server. If you do not see any details about safety, it is recommended to go through another store.