1. To help protect your credit, use only one credit card for online purchases. This will help you quickly track your spending habits when the charge card statement will come in the mail. If you notice any charges that you did not make, call the credit card company immediately and report it to them.
2. In case you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is absolutely no website that requires this number for you to make a purchase. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, you are probably on a scam website. Leave this site and find one that includes a better reputation.
3. Turn it into a habit to register for price alerts. It goes even for purchases that you've recently made. Price alerts will let you know when a product has dropped to your price you prefer. And if you've recently purchased at full price, you are able to ask for a price adjustment to meet the new deal.
4. To safeguard yourself use a credit card when you shop online. The government has passed laws to protect consumers in the event of fraud. The amount the consumer is responsible for is actually a mere $50.00 as compared to debit cards where the entire balance may be withdrawn by internet hackers.
5. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Most of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on their home page. Performing a quick hunt for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.