1. If you're considering buying a product online, look into the reviews. The reviews from other people that have used the product will be able to give you a good idea about the product. You might be able to find out the caliber of the product, when it worked as described, and if you should make the purchase.
2. Find out the online store's return policy. Should you be considering creating a purchase on an item that you might want to return, ensure you find out if returning the item is surely an option. Sometimes when you shop online, items can not be returned and you do not want to be saddled with an unwanted item.
3. When you're shopping online you have to be sure you know who you're buying from. If you're buying upon an online auction site, only order from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see when they are a reputable company by searching for reviews to them online.
4. Sign up for your chosen online stores' newsletters. Many times online stores will send out daily, weekly or monthly newsletters with special sales, discounts and deals. If you like to spend less, you might be able to score some terrific deals on items you were going to purchase anyway.
5. Look for the right times to shop online. Often the stores that you frequent will have online sales that follow a time pattern. Many, for instance, schedule sales for the beginning of the month or at the end. When you see there's a pattern, hold off on buying anything until the upcoming sales period begins.