1. When looking for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as numerous reviews as you can. Reading many reviews will allow you to get a more general notion of whether or not the item you are interested in meets high standards of quality.
2. Call the online company prior to making a purchase. If you have some kind of downside to your purchase, you want so that you can know that you can reach customer care easily. That's why it's a good idea to call before you give them your charge card information. Should you can't get anyone on the telephone, steer clear.
3. When you're shopping online you need to be sure you know who you're buying from. If you're buying on an online auction site, only buy from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see if they are a reputable company by searching for reviews on them online.
4. Make sure to read all the information about any product you are considering purchasing. Just looking with a picture online can be deceiving sometimes. It will make a product look bigger or smaller than. Make sure to read the description so you know exactly what you are purchasing.
5. For those who have questions while shopping, search for a live chat function in the online store. Many big brands (and even some boutique stores) now have this functionality. You are able to chat immediately with a customer support representative to fix any issues or answer any questions before buying. That can provide you with a lot of peace of mind.