1. A great way to stay safe when you shop online is in order to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email coming from a company, visit the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails asking for personal information or account information.
2. Many online shopping sites offer discounts if you use a "discount code". These codes can be found online by entering the words "coupon code" along with the manufacturer or name of the website you will be buying from. They might offer a percentage off or free shipping simply by entering within a simple code which can be easily found by investing a few minutes searching for it.
3. If you are planning to be shopping online, make sure that you practice it from a computer connection you already know is secure, like the one that you have in the home. Hackers try to find WI-Fi connections in public places while they are scouting for victims, so avoid shopping when using them.
4. If you think that you will be making a lot of online purchases later on, consider obtaining a separate bank card to use just for these transactions. It is simpler to track all transactions should they be the only items listed on this card's transaction records. Additionally, you don't need to worry concerning your own funds being compromised, even temporarily, if you are a victim of fraud.
5. When you shop online, be sure that the online store offers secure checkout. This will help protect your own personal information from being stolen. To ensure the site is encrypted search for into your web browser's URL box. The web page is secured if the website starts with https. This stands for hyper transfer protocol secure.