1. Although it may seem tedious, be sure you read the contract and terms before you purchase with a website. These documents have valuable information on what you can and cannot do when you have a problem with the item that you bought. Read them thoroughly in order that you do not have an unwelcome surprise when trying to come back items.
2. Be careful in regard to the online stores that you consider buying from. If the online store is poorly designed, filled with misspellings, and overall fishy, you should take your money elsewhere. These are signs that something might not be right about this store. It's preferable to be safe than sorry.
3. When getting things shipped to your home which you bought online, know your consumer rights regarding time tables and condition of merchandise. You have a straight to receive items according to the terms stated when you ordered them and reasonable expectations of goods being undamaged. Consult with the BBB for exact specifics and obtain what's arriving at you fairly!
4. Make sure that you're entering your payment details on a safe and secure site. Try to find "https://" in the URL from the site that you're attempting to buy something from. If you don't see that or no indication of any website security, then it's probably a wise idea not to trust those people together with your account information.
5. A good online shopping tip to remember is to leave feedback after buying from a source you've never bought from before. This will help the two of you because you'll remember whether you've enjoyed a good experience from them, and they will also obtain a reputation as being a seller.