1. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Many of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on their own home page. Performing a quick search for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
2. Be skeptical of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend if you are shopping online. You start out to rationalize that you can spend more for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten if you went to the mall, for example. Give yourself a restriction and stick to it.
3. Before buying a product online, find out more about shipping. If you do not find any details about shipping costs, contact the owner to find out if there are additional charges for shipping. If there are several shipping options, choose an affordable and reliable option to make sure you receive your product quickly.
4. When you are shopping on the web, make sure that you are merely shopping on secure websites. Look in the site URL and it should display "https" instead of the usual "http" at the beginning. Also have an updated copy of anti-virus running on your computer as well. This will make sure that you have a safe online shopping experience.
5. If you're worried about whether a shopping website is legitimate or otherwise not, do some research about it. The internet could be a great way to learn about other people's experiences with different sites. When the reviews of others seem promising, consider making a small first order. This can enable you to test out the customer service, shipping, and acquire a feel for the organization without risking a lot of money.