1. If you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is no website that really needs this number for you to buy something. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, you may be on a scam website. Leave this site and find one that has a better reputation.
2. When you're shopping online you should be sure that you know who you're buying from. If you're buying on an online auction site, only order from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see if they are a reputable company by looking for reviews upon them online.
3. Once you enjoy the convenience of frequent internet shopping, it's extremely important to keep changing the passwords you use for every account. Every couple of weeks or so, make up a new password for your bank as well as the shopping sites directly. Use abstract words, combined with numbers and other odd characters for your strongest passwords.
4. Although it might appear tedious, ensure you read the contract and terms before you purchase at a website. These documents have valuable info on what you can and cannot do when you have a problem with the item that you bought. Read them thoroughly to ensure that you do not have an unwelcome surprise when trying to return items.
5. When you shop online, it's best to check around to find the best price. Shopping online makes it very easy for the greatest price for virtually any items. While shopping around, make certain you only look at the prices from places where you'd feel comfortable buying from. Even if a cost is great, it won't matter if you don't want to order from that place.