1. Before shopping from a store that is unfamiliar with you, discover what the store's reputation is similar to. You can usually do an internet search and discover what others think of the business. It is best to do this so you do not find out the hard way and lose your hard earned money.
2. If you are going to be shopping online, make sure that you do it from a computer connection you already know is secure, like the one that you have in the home. Hackers try to find WI-Fi connections in public places if they are scouting for victims, so avoid shopping when using them.
3. Make sure to read all the information about any product you are considering purchasing. Just looking at a picture online can be deceiving sometimes. It will make a product look bigger or smaller than it is. Make sure to look at the description so that you know exactly what you are actually purchasing.
4. Although it might appear tedious, ensure you read the contract and terms before you purchase at a website. These documents have valuable information about what you can and cannot do when you have an issue with the item that you bought. Read them thoroughly in order that you do not have an unwelcome surprise when trying to return items.
5. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Many of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on the home page. Performing a quick hunt for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.