1. A great way to stay safe when shopping online is to prevent clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email coming from a company, go to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails requesting personal information or account information.
2. Read customer testimonials before you buy anything. People are delighted to complain about bad service online, so search for sites and testimonials that are terrible so you know what you're getting into. You need to take bad reviews having a grain of salt, but if you see many, you know you will find a problem.
3. In case you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is not any website that needs this number for you to buy something. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, you are probably on a scam website. Leave this site and locate one that includes a better reputation.
4. Be suspicious of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend when you are shopping online. You begin to rationalize that you can spend more for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten in the event you went to the mall, for instance. Give yourself a restriction and follow it.
5. Be wary for any emails you get, even if they appear to be from the retailer you trust. Never click on a hyperlink that directs you to a website other than the one you shopped on. If you do, you may become vulnerable to a scam. Rather than clicking on an email hyperlink, just go approximately your browser and type in the web site you would like to go to. It is actually much safer that way.