1. When you are creating any purchases on the internet and you are required to create a user account, never use the same passwords that you use on other websites. Do not use your e-mail or banking password to make an account to buy shoes from a web retailer. If a person was able to see this password, they could have access to more than just your profile on the retailer's store.
2. Sign-up for any identity fraud protection your credit card company offers, particularly if you shop online often. No matter how safe you are or how diligently you believe you can protect your information, it's never one hundred percent guaranteed. Take full advantage of automatic ID protection and know you will have back-up, should the worst occur.
3. When looking for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as many reviews as possible. Reading many reviews will help you get a more general notion of whether or not the merchandise you are interested in meets high standards of quality.
4. If you find an excellent product on your favorite site, search for it in an internet search engine before you buy it. Make note of the model number or brand, and do a quick search to make sure you can't obtain it cheaper from somewhere else. You might be able to save a few dollars like that.
5. Get familiar with the shipping facts of an online retailer. Their shipping policy should be outlined in a separate section to describe the average time you should get your items, geographic restrictions, shipping choices, possible shipping insurance, and what their handling and shipping fees are. Use all this information to choose if these costs and options fit well for you personally, your budget, along with your area prior to placing an order.