1. If you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is no website that really needs this number for you to buy something. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, you may be on a scam website. Leave this site and find one that has a better reputation.
2. While shopping online, use a credit card rather than a debit card. This is because credit cards are based on your credit, not the amount of money inside your bank account. In case a internet hacker gets your banking information, they can completely ruin you within a matter of hours.
3. To safeguard yourself use a credit card when you shop online. The federal government has passed laws to protect consumers in the event of fraud. The amount the customer is responsible for is actually a mere $50.00 as compared to debit cards where the entire balance may be withdrawn by internet hackers.
4. When shopping online, make sure that the online store offers secure checkout. This will help protect your individual information from being stolen. To ensure the website is encrypted check out into your web browser's URL box. The web page is secured if the website starts with https. This means hyper transfer protocol secure.
5. Try to find coupons before purchasing a product online. Most online stores also have some promotional offers taking place. If you do not find any information about current offers on the site from the online store, look on other sites. Customers sometimes share their coupon codes on message boards or couponning blogs.