1. If you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is no website that really needs this number for you to make a purchase. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, you may be on a scam website. Leave this site and discover one that has a better reputation.
2. Discover the online store's return policy. If you are considering making a purchase on an item that you may want to return, ensure you find out if returning the item is definitely an option. Sometimes when you shop online, items are unable to be returned and you may not want to be tied to an unwanted item.
3. Take the time to browse through different online stores to compare the products offered. Unless you have your mind set on a specific brand, you should take the time to compare different products. Select one with all the features you need and compare prices too. Visit your favorite online stores often since new releases become available on a regular basis.
4. Do more research around the online store you are looking at before ordering a product from them. If a store does not provide quality service or products, you will more than likely find some negative reviews published on other sites. It is best to stick to online stores with the excellent reputation.
5. Sign-up for any identity theft protection your credit card company offers, especially if you shop online often. No matter how safe you are or how diligently you believe it is possible to protect your details, it's never one hundred percent guaranteed. Take full advantage of automatic ID protection and know you will have back-up, should the worst occur.