1. If you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is no website that really needs this number for you to buy something. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, you may be on a scam website. Leave this site and locate one that includes a better reputation.
2. Never give out your Social Security number for an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and personal information to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you go on an online store site and discover that as being a requirement, do not buy everything from them and shop someplace else.
3. Be wary of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend when you are shopping online. You start to rationalize that you can spend more for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten should you went to the mall, as an example. Give yourself a limit and follow it.
4. Read customer testimonials before you buy anything. People are more than happy to complain about bad service online, so search for sites and testimonials which are terrible so you know what you're getting into. You should take bad reviews having a grain of salt, but if you see many, you know there exists a problem.
5. In case you have questions while shopping, search for a live chat function in the online store. Many big brands (and even some boutique stores) now have this functionality. It is possible to chat immediately with a customer service representative to correct any issues or answer any questions prior to buying. That can provide you with a lot of reassurance.