1. When you are shopping online, make sure that you are just shopping on secure websites. Look in the web site URL and it should display "https" rather than the usual "http" at the beginning. Usually have an updated copy of anti-virus running on your computer also. This will ensure that you have a safe online shopping experience.
2. When you are shopping online, you should only shop at reputable stores. If the store does not have a strong reputation, you may be requesting trouble. Some people have had their credit card and private information stolen from shopping on less than reputable websites. Be careful and protect your private information.
3. To safeguard yourself use a credit card while shopping online. The federal government has passed laws to protect consumers in the event of fraud. The amount the customer is responsible for is actually a mere $50.00 as compared to debit cards where the entire balance could be withdrawn by internet hackers.
4. If you shop frequently at a certain website or online store, it may be worth it to enroll in their email updates which usually have promotions and sales. This can translate into savings for you as you may get yourself a discount around the item or even free shipping, which could add up to bigger savings if you buy from the site often.
5. Whenever you enjoy the comfort of frequent internet shopping, it's very important to keep changing the passwords you use for every account. Every couple of weeks approximately, make up a whole new password for the bank and the shopping sites directly. Use abstract words, combined with numbers and other odd characters for that strongest passwords.