1. If you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is no website that needs this number for you to buy something. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, you are probably on a scam website. Leave this site and discover one which has a better reputation.
2. Make it a habit to register for price alerts. This goes even for purchases that you've recently made. Price alerts will tell you when a product has dropped to a price you like. And in case you've recently purchased at full price, you can request a price adjustment to meet the newest deal.
3. To protect yourself use a credit card while shopping online. The federal government has passed laws to protect consumers in the event of fraud. The amount the customer is responsible for is a mere $50.00 as compared to atm cards where the entire balance could be withdrawn by internet hackers.
4. Before shopping from a store that is a new comer to you, find out what the store's reputation is much like. You can usually do an internet search and learn what others think of the business. It is best to do that so you do not find out the difficult way and lose your cash.
5. Before investing in a product online, find out more about shipping. If you do not find any details about shipping costs, contact the vendor to find out if there are additional charges for shipping. If there are several shipping options, choose an affordable and reliable option to make sure you receive your product quickly.