1. A great way to stay safe while shopping online is to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email from a company, visit the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails seeking personal information or account information.
2. When shopping online, be sure that the online store offers secure checkout. This will help protect your own personal information from being stolen. To ensure the website is encrypted check out into your web browser's URL box. The website is secured if the website starts with https. This stands for hyper transfer protocol secure.
3. Before you start your internet shopping, be sure that you've got up-to-date antivirus software. Internet shopping is a hotbed for suspect websites. Many people build stores with the goal to infect your computer with malware. It's best that you take precautions prior to visiting any stores, no matter how reputable you feel these are.
4. When you shop online, you should be extra careful if you are using your cellphone to purchase online. Using a public Wi-Fi can leave your personal at risk of hackers. Make an effort to only use your secured network when shopping online using a cellphone and never use a public Wi-Fi hot spot to shop.
5. Many online shopping sites offer discounts if you use a "coupon code". These codes can be found online simply by entering the words "coupon code" along with the manufacturer or name of the website you will be buying from. They may offer a percentage off or free shipping just by entering in a simple code which can be easily found by investing a few minutes looking for it.