1. When you're shopping online you need to be sure you know who you're buying from. If you're buying on an online auction site, only buy from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see if they are a reputable company by looking for reviews to them online.
2. Look for the right times to shop online. Often the stores that you frequent will have online sales that follow a time pattern. Many, for instance, schedule sales for the beginning of the month or at the end. If you see there's a pattern, hold off on buying anything until the upcoming sales period begins.
3. When you are creating any purchases online and you are required to create a user account, never use the same passwords that you use on other websites. Do not make use of e-mail or banking password to make a free account to buy shoes from a web retailer. If somebody was able to check this out password, they can have access to not only your profile on the retailer's store.
4. In case you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is no website that requires this number for you to make a purchase. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, you are probably on a scam website. Leave this site and locate one that has a better reputation.
5. Learn more about the payment methods provided by the online store you are interested in. Most stores supply you with the option to pay with a credit card or with PayPal. A charge card is a safe option only if the store has a secure server. If you do not see any details about safety, it is recommended to go through an alternative store.