1. To protect yourself use a credit card when shopping online. The federal government has passed laws to protect consumers in the event of fraud. The amount the consumer is responsible for is actually a mere $50.00 as compared to atm cards where the entire balance can be withdrawn by internet hackers.
2. When you are online shopping, you should only shop at reputable stores. If the store does not have a strong reputation, you may be asking for trouble. Many people have had their credit card and personal information stolen from shopping on less than reputable websites. Be careful and protect your private information.
3. When shopping online, it is crucial that you spend a little time looking at the site that you will be considering buying from. You will find information about the site from other sites and the Better Business Bureau. Not researching them can lead to you having the products you probably did not order or getting billed more than you should have.
4. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Lots of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on their own home page. Carrying out a quick search for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
5. A great tip to consider when you're thinking about internet shopping is to make sure the site is legit. You don't wish to be giving your credit card information away to somebody that could potentially scam you. Always look at the site to tell if it's professional and safe for use.