1. If you are going to become doing some shopping online, make sure you understand the liability for every credit card you use online. Many credit cards have automatic fraud prevention built in while others offer it for a minimal fee. You do not want to get stuck with purchases made on your own card when the number is stolen.
2. When you're shopping online you need to be sure that you know who you're buying from. If you're buying on an online auction site, only order from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see should they be a reputable company by trying to find reviews upon them online.
3. Be sure that when you make a purchase online, you are aware of if the site is secure or not. You may not want your information being compromised in this day and age. Identity theft is quite common, and you also must protect your information whatsoever cost so that you will wish to keep making purchases online.
4. A great way to stay safe while shopping online is to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email from a company, go to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails requesting personal information or account information.
5. If you're concerned about whether a shopping site is legitimate or not, do some research about this. The internet may be a great way to learn about other people's experiences with assorted sites. If the reviews of others seem promising, consider making a small first order. This can enable you to test out the consumer service, shipping, and obtain a feel for the organization without risking a lot of money.