1. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Lots of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on the home page. Carrying out a quick search for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
2. If you're purchasing clothes or shoes online, be careful with all the sizing. Some items typically run smaller or larger than normal. Some shopping sites will advertise if an item runs true to size. If the site doesn't list anything about sizing, glance at the reviews. In most cases, if an item is running larger or smaller, the reviewers will let you know.
3. If you are going to get doing some shopping on the web, make sure you understand the liability for each and every credit card you make use of online. Many credit cards have automatic fraud prevention built in while others offer it for any minimal fee. You do not want to get stuck with purchases made on the card when the number is stolen.
4. Sign up for the website's newsletter if they have one. Many times stores will give you a reduction or some kind of deal whenever you sign up for their newsletter. Determine if there is a deal associated with subscribing to the newsletter at any store you need to shop at.
5. If you are making a purchase online, make sure that you use a credit card to pay for the transaction. Bank card users are protected against fraud by federal law and they are only liable for $50 in these cases. Some card agencies will even go so far as to wave the $50 for you, meaning that you will not be out of pocket.