1. Never give out your Social Security number to an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and private information to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you carry on an online store site and find out that being a requirement, do not buy everything from them and shop somewhere else.
2. If you're considering buying a product online, browse the reviews. The reviews from other people that have used the product will be able to give you a great idea about the product. You might be able to find out the standard of the product, when it worked as described, and if you should make the purchase.
3. Before you make a purchase, compare prices on several websites. Search for special coupons and offers on these websites to ensure that you are getting the best bargain possible. Also look into what it really will cost for the shipping on your items and if there are free freight options open to you.
4. If you're purchasing clothes or shoes online, be careful with the sizing. Some items typically run smaller or larger than normal. Some shopping sites will advertise if an item runs true to size. If the site doesn't list anything about sizing, glance at the reviews. In most cases, if an item is running larger or smaller, the reviewers will let you know.
5. When shopping online, it is critical that you spend a little time considering the site that you are considering buying from. You can get information about the site from other sites and the Better Business Bureau. Not researching them might lead to you having the products you did not order or getting billed more than you should have.