1. Be wary of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend if you are shopping online. You begin to rationalize that you can spend more for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten in the event you went to the mall, for example. Give yourself a restriction and follow it.
2. When you're shopping online you have to be sure you know who you're buying from. If you're buying upon an online auction site, only purchase from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see if they are a reputable company by trying to find reviews on them online.
3. If you feel you will be making a lot of online purchases in the future, consider trying to get a separate credit card to use just for these transactions. It is much easier to track all transactions when they are the only items listed with this card's transaction records. Additionally, you don't need to worry about your own funds being compromised, even temporarily, if you are a victim of fraud.
4. Sign up for the website's newsletter if they have one. Many times stores will give you a reduction or some kind of deal whenever you sign up for their newsletter. Determine whether there is a deal associated with subscribing to the newsletter at any store you want to shop at.
5. Take the time to browse through different online stores to compare and contrast the products offered. Unless you have your mind set on a specific brand, you ought to take the time to compare different products. Select one with all the features you need and compare prices too. Visit your favorite online stores often since new products become available on a regular basis.