1. Before you make a purchase, make a price comparison on several websites. Search for special coupons and offers on these websites to make sure you are getting the best bargain possible. Also look into what it really will cost for that shipping on the items and if there are free shipping options available to you.
2. When you're shopping online you need to be sure that you know who you're buying from. If you're buying on an online auction site, only buy from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see when they are a reputable company by looking for reviews upon them online.
3. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Most of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on their own home page. Doing a quick hunt for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
4. Ensure that you're entering your payment details on a safe and secure site. Look for "https://" within the URL in the site that you're trying to buy something from. If you don't see that or no symbol of any website security, then it's probably a wise idea not to trust those people along with your account information.
5. If you're considering buying a product online, check out the reviews. The reviews from other people that have used the product can give you a good idea about the product. You might be able to find out the caliber of the product, if this worked as described, and if you should make the purchase.