1. Read customer testimonials before you buy anything. People are more than happy to complain about bad service online, so try to find sites and testimonials which can be terrible so you are aware what you're getting into. You need to take bad reviews with a grain of salt, but if you see many, you know you will find a problem.
2. When you are shopping online, you should only shop at reputable stores. If the store does not have a strong reputation, you may be requesting trouble. Some individuals have had their credit card and private information stolen from shopping on less than reputable websites. Be careful and protect your private information.
3. A great way to stay safe when shopping online is in order to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email from the company, proceed to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails seeking personal information or account information.
4. If you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is not any website that really needs this number for you to buy something. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, perhaps you are on a scam website. Leave this site and find one that includes a better reputation.
5. Spend some time to browse through different online stores to compare and contrast the products offered. Unless you have your mind set on a specific brand, you need to take the time to compare different products. Select one with all the features you need and compare prices too. Visit your favorite online stores often since new products become available on a regular basis.