1. Should you be shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is no website that requires this number for you to make a purchase. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, you may be on a scam website. Leave this site and discover one that has a better reputation.
2. Always remember your finances and credit limits when you shop online. The virtual arena of online shopping has gotten a lot of people in serious debt. You need to look at online shopping in a similar manner you look at offline shopping. Never buy items online that you don't have the cash to pay for.
3. Sign up for the website's newsletter if they have one. Many times stores will give you a discount or some type of deal when you sign up for their newsletter. Determine whether there is a deal associated with signing up for the newsletter at any store you would like to shop at.
4. If you want to buy books online, you'll get yourself a better deal if you get them used. Depending on the condition you receive them in, you may just end up paying a few cents plus shipping. Make sure you go through the description of the book to see if you will find any damages you should be aware of.
5. Read customer testimonials before you buy anything. People are delighted to complain about bad service online, so search for sites and testimonials that are terrible so you are aware what you're getting into. You ought to take bad reviews using a grain of salt, but if you see many, you know there exists a problem.