1. When you are searching for a place to buy a product and no results are most often from familiar retailers, you need to be hesitant about entering your details. Look for security signs from Verisign or Cybertrust, so you know the retailer is not in the market to take your money.
2. Take the time to browse through different online stores to compare the products offered. Unless you have your mind set on a specific brand, you should take the time to compare different products. Select one with all the features you need and compare prices too. Visit your favorite online stores often since new releases become available on a regular basis.
3. If you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is absolutely no website that needs this number for you to buy something. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, you are probably on a scam website. Leave this site and find one that has a better reputation.
4. Once you enjoy the ease of frequent internet shopping, it's essential to keep changing the passwords you use for each and every account. Every couple of weeks roughly, make up a whole new password to your bank and also the shopping sites directly. Use abstract words, combined with numbers and other odd characters for your strongest passwords.
5. Do not spend too much cash on shipping. Shipping charges can really add up. Many sites offer free shipping, free shipping once you spend a certain amount, or use a coupon code that lets you get free shipping. Instead of paying your hard earned money on shipping, look for a store that ships for free.