1. Read customer testimonials before you buy anything. People are more than pleased to complain about bad service online, so look for sites and testimonials that are terrible so you are aware what you're getting into. You need to take bad reviews using a grain of salt, but if you see many, you know there is a problem.
2. When shopping online, be sure that the online store offers secure checkout. This will help protect your personal information from being stolen. To ensure the website is encrypted search for into your web browser's URL box. The site is secured if the website starts with https. This is short for hyper transfer protocol secure.
3. Sign up for the website's newsletter if they have one. Many times stores will give you a reduction or some kind of deal when you sign up for their newsletter. Determine if there is a deal associated with signing up for the newsletter at any store you want to shop at.
4. Never give out your Social Security number to an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and private information to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you carry on an online store site and see that as a requirement, usually do not buy everything from them and shop elsewhere.
5. When shopping online, choose the best shipping policy. Often times companies offer expedited shipping. However, often times getting the product one day earlier can cost you as much as twice the normal shipping price. Therefore, if you can wait on the product to arrive using normal shipping instead of expedited shipping, choose standard shipping to save money.